re: tasksel, first time with debian

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 02:29, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> > You're trying to run tasksel under those conditions?
>
> yep...?  Is that a leading question!?

Since you're installing, you might be a newbie (like me - at Debian,
anyway).  I've been doing ad-hoc tech support for my Dad for years, and
his most common problem report is "it didn't do it".  Then I have to
wheedle the details that he doesn't have words for out of him to be of
any help, usually over the trans-pacific phone lines.

So I've developed a habit of assuming nothing.  My apologies if I've
misunderstood your situation.

> ---------------
> deb cdrom:[Debian Disk 2^M^M^M^M^M^M^M^M^M^M^M^M^M]/ pool/
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20021218)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>
> deb http://mirror.pacific.net.au/debian/ stable main
> deb-src http://mirror.pacific.net.au/debian/ stable main
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
> ---------------

The "^M" stuff looks like DOS/unix file translation issues.  The rest of
the file looks ok to me.

We're getting past what I do know about.  I have a suggestion:

Run "apt-get update", then "apt-get dist-upgrade" to deal with any mixed
dependency issues brought on by installing from CD and net.  "man
apt-get" says "dist-upgrade" has some extra intelligence about resolving
dependency issues.

Probably someone reading this who knows more than me will jump in and
tell me that's useless, but at least I don't think it can do any harm.

Cheers,
Bret

bwaldow at alum.mit.edu