Re: Dual head text console / X HOWTO sought

pigeon wrote:

> I have two graphics cards, a SiS 6326 PCI card and a Radeon 7500 AGP
> card. Having just acquired a second monitor, I am keen to set up a
> dual head system capable of the following configurations:
>
> 1) Dual head text console. A keystroke combination switches the focus
> of the keyboard from one monitor to the other; the usual Alt-F<n> then
> switches between VTs on that monitor.

This is not possible, kernel doesn't handle that, but i could be wrong.

Enable framebuffer for the two card, and you will get 2 framebuffers
devices, but only the first one will be used (fb0). Then, you have to
map one VT to a framebuffer with the tool con2fb (i don't remember
well), or you can use my fancy getty: fbgetty. You have to replace call
to getty in /etc/inittab by fbgetty <tty> <framebuffer>.

So you will get a mix of the behaviors you describe.
ALT-Fn will switch the focus and VT on all monitors. This can lead to
really complex configuration.
Cool configuration is using fb0 with tty1 to 12, and fb1 with tty13 to
24, so you select focus on your first screen with ALT-Fn and your second
screen with ALT Gr-Fn.

--
Yann Droneaud <yann.droneaud@mbda.fr>
MBDA France Missile Systems -- http://www.mbda.net/