Re: Kernel Modules

On Don, 3 Juli 2003 13:43:24 -0500, Abrasive wrote:
> Okay, once again I'm having trouble installing a display driver: Intel 845-G
> I downloaded the drivers from http://www.intel.com
> And after unpacking the tarball, I run ./install.sh
> Everything runs fine until it needs to compile a new agpart module, and a
> DRM module:
> Error Follows:
>
> Compiling new agpart module...
> ERROR: AGPART module did not compile
>
> Compiling DRM module...
> ERROR: Kernel modules did not compile

too bad it doesn't tell exactly _what_ the error is..

> The DRI drivers cannot be installed without the latest kernel
> modules.(/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4)
> Installation will be aborted.

i suppose, it means the modules it wasn't able to compile, as the
module directory seems to exist.

> Is there a kernel module package out there for the kernel I'm running?
> 2.4.18-bf2.4

the modules are includet in the kernel package. you seem to be missing
onde or more of the following:

1. a compiler or nessecary tools like make or the like check for gcc,
make and libc6 packages via 'dpkg -l |grep $package_name'

2. kernel headers. check for a directory named /usr/include and whats in
it. there should be plenty of files ending in .h. if they are not there,
install the kernelheader package that fits your kernel version.
'dpkg -l |grep kernel' should show you all kernel related packages that
are installed.

hth.

ali.

--