Re: new debian box reboots itself?

i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> 	ok, color me confused. my new machine (which is not primary yet)
> rebooted by itself tuesday morning around 3:50am. it was a software
> reboot, as it came back up cleanly by itself - i found it later that
> afternoon sitting at the x login screen, when i always leave it logged in
> at a commandline terminal. the box is running 3.0r1 & is not on any
> network.
>
> 	syslog tells me WHEN it rebooted, but not WHY. is there something
> magical in new debian that makes the machine REBOOT by ITSELF? does anyone
> have any idea what the hell happened?
>
> 	it certainly wasn't hardware, as the new box & my current primary
> are plugged into the same UPS & there was no problem with this machine. i,
> as always, weep for lost uptimes. thanks for any help.

Was it a clean or an unclean reboot? If you have "reboot" in the lastlog,
it was a clean reboot. That might be caused by something like watchdog,
or something else that got it into its head to reboot the machine.
You're right that programs that do that are fairly rare; AFAIK there are
none in a default install.

If it was an unclean reboot, you're left with the possibilties that
either the kernel decided to reboot the system, or it just spontaneously
reset itself due to a hardware issue. These will show up in the lastlog
as "down", "crash" and the like.

--
see shy jo