Re: Intel D875PBZ or MSI 87P NEO-FIS2R

I wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a machine based on the Intel 875P chipset, probably using either the Intel D875PBZ or MSI 87P NEO-FIS2R
and Nick Lidakis replied:
There is a review of this Intel board at www.linuxhardware.org. It's the same board that I will purchase next week. Everything on board is supported by kernel 2.4.21. The Gigabit is supposed to be supported bu Intel's alternate driver, which is incluede in the stock debian kernel.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that. I read the review but was still left with some questions. (This may just be due to my lack of expertise in kernels). It seems that the reviewers didn't get even Intel's RAID 0 to work, and they installed on a 'PATA' drive and were only able to see the SATA drives with the BIOS configured to make them look like PATA - what does this do for the performance and capabilities - is it a complete long-term fix? (or they could see SATA drives with no DMA, no Ethernet and no video!) They don't mention ECC at all.

So I'm still curious as to whether anybody has first hand success with either of these boards?

Thanks, Dave
--
Dave Howorth