RE: Enabling ssl on web?

if you are using apache-ssl then there is a corresponding command

# apache-sslctl
usage: /usr/sbin/apache-sslctl
(start|stop|restart|fullstatus|status|graceful|configtest|help)

start      - start httpsd
stop       - stop httpsd
restart    - restart httpsd if running by sending a SIGHUP or start if
             not running
fullstatus - dump a full status screen; requires lynx and mod_status enabled
status     - dump a short status screen; requires lynx and mod_status
enabled
graceful   - do a graceful restart by sending a SIGUSR1 or start if not
running
configtest - do a configuration syntax test
help       - this screen

Matt