Re: Trying Again

Abrasive wrote:

Thanks for all the replies I got. They were all great answers, and at the very least, helping me on my way to learning Debian. I found that booting with the 5th CD in the set was the
easiest way to start out with the 2.4.x kernel.
But now, out of sheer morbid curiosity, I still want to upgrade the kernel. Now for the sake of learning how it's done instead of the hardware necessity.

"apt-cache search kernel-image" to see what kernel images are available.
"apt-get install kernel-image-[whatever]"

or you can "roll your own", but there's not a lot of need to do that now-a-days, as the pre-built kernels are suitable for most folks.

SO, now that the kernel will recognize my hardware, how do I install/setup the NIC?

The NIC is an Intel Pro 100 S Desktop Adapter.

"lsmod" should show you the currently installed modules. You'll probably see one named something like "eepro100". If it's not there, try either:

"modconf", and find network drivers, then install the module for the Intel Pro 100 S (probably eepro100)
or
   "modprobe eepro100" (assuming that's the correct module for your NIC)

Then edit "/etc/network/interfaces" so that it looks something like:
   auto lo eth0
   iface lo inet loopback
   iface eth0 inet dhcp
(assuming you're using dhcp on your network - "man interfaces" for an example for static addressing)

Finally run "/etc/init.d/networking stop" followed by "/etc/init.d/networking start". (Or you could reboot instead of these two steps; or run "/etc/init.d/networking restart" instead of these two steps, but I've found that doesn't always work as well as the separate stop/start steps.) Now you should have network capability.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)