Re: OT? www.donotcall.gov problem

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 05:17:58AM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

Here's the parts I can answer right now :

| I did succeed in registering by using the telephone and calling
| 1-888-382-1222.
| When I did this, the hardware of the telephone system was able to
| verify that I was calling from the telephone instrument that I
| was registering. But I have a question about this process:
| I was required to enter the telephone # manually, and then my
| manual entry was checked against what the hardware said. Why?
| Why not just have the hardware grab the telephone # and put it
| into the database?

Perhaps (and this is just speculation) it is a form of double-checking
or a safeguard against some sort of proxy.  I'm sure the answer lies
in redundancy or security one way or another.

| And what relation does my email address have to my telephone #?

The only relatiionship is validating the information sent via the web
form.  You are used to seeing this sort of double-checking when
subscribing to a mailing list.  However, I doubt this is a very good
check in this case.

-D

--
It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes at least a 486 to run Windows 95.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/