Re: GRUB problem

* Kevin McKinley (ronin2@bellatlantic.net) [030701 13:33]:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:54:51 +1200
> cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > Errrm, *I* didn't produce that line
> > kernel     /vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci  root=/dev/hda1 ro
> >  - grub-install did.
> >
> > In fact, if I read GRUB terminology aright, it's looking for
> > (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci.
> > Or, as Linux sees it,  /dev/hda/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci
> > aka   /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci.
> >
> > And it's there, and also in
> > /boot/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci
> > (because I copied it there just to make sure).
>
> In the kernel line of menu.lst (or at the grub command prompt), /<something>
> means something in the root directory of the filesystem, not in /boot. If
> you want the latter, specify it either as /boot/<something> or as
> (hd0,0)/<something>.

You're using contradicting terms.  /<something> does indeed mean
something in the root directory of _a_ filesystem.  Which filesystem?
(hd0,0) (a.k.a. /dev/hda1, a.k.a. /boot).  cr is correct in saying that
that (hd0,0)/vmlinux-2.2.20-idepci is the same as what Linux calls
/boot/vmlinux-2.2.20-idepci .  Grub's root is specified as (hd0,0), so
all filenames are relative to that filesystem.  Grub doesn't mount a
tree of filesystems like linux does; it just mounts one, known as it's
root (or groot, in the nomenclature used by debian's default menu.lst)
and all filenames are relative to that.

good times,
Vineet
--