Re: How to make the debian system shut down with power off?

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Nick Hastings wrote:
>Hi,
>
>* James Ng Yuen Sum <james_nghk_debian_user@yahoo.com.hk> [030627 11:11]:
>> I have installed the debian system several times. In the first time,
>> after the installation, the computer can shut down automatically.(that
>> means the computer can shut down with the power off automatically when
>> you switch "shut down the computer" in the kdm.

Yeah, I've been struggling with this too, and it has now gone from a minor
annoyance, to a big pain... I don't understand why I can't get it
working... Knoppix does it, so... So I'm glad you asked, so I can follow
up...

>This is done by apm. It sounds like you run a fairly stock set up, so
>you should be able to get this working fairly easily.

I've compiled my own kernel, and this is my current config:
CONFIG_APM=m
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y

>Add the following line to your /etc/lilo.conf and then run lilo (both
>must be done as root).
>
>append="apm=on"

Yeah, I've added that. But I also heard you had to have apm=power-off too,
so I added that too...

And, indeed, dmesg has:
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=301 apm=on
apm=power-off

Looks OK?

>You may also need to add apm to the list of modules to be loaded at
>boot:
>
>echo apm >> /etc/modules

That's the new thing I gleaned from this thread (thanks a lot everybody),
it's there, allright. And dmesg ends with
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16)

so it all looks good, doesn't it....?

But it still doesn't do a real shutdown... :-(

When it comes to "Power Down", all that happens is that the fan in the PSU
stops, but that's it. The rest has power, even a CD playing from the CD
drive using the through the soundcard will continue playing... All the
other fans are still going. Untill I hit The Button... :-)

I've actually had a piece about this in my /. journal for some time...:
http://slashdot.org/~KjetilK/journal/12005
(but it hasn't been sufficiently annoying for me to start annoying others
with it... :-) ).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Recent astrophysics graduate                  Problems worthy of attack