Kernel to a laptop?

Trying to install debian on my Dell Latitude C400, but without
success.  I have tried to follow the instructions on
<http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html#s-linux-upgrade>
i.e:

1. Starting with RedHat Rawhide (at the time, the only distro
installable as there is problem with chipset).

2. Free partition /dev/hda1 with around 600 MB

3. mke2fs -j /dev/hda1

4. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/debinstall

5.  /usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch i386 woody \
          /mnt/debinst http://http.us.debian.org/debian

6. $ chroot /mnt/debinst /bin/bash

7. ...

However, when I reboot, I get several errors (flashing off the screen)
and then kernel panic.

Is there some special kernel I have to choose for my laptop?

--
 Jon Haugsand, Jon-H.Haugsand@norges-bank.no
 http://www.norges-bank.no