Re: Upgrading the kernel

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> Anita Lewis <ajlewis2SPAMFREE@intac.com> schrieb:
>>># apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc
> [...]
>> ls /boot (see if that new kernel is in there)
>> ls /lib/modules (see if it gave you any modules to go with it)
>
> No no.. This is not intel. It's a Macintosh.
>
> In order to install a new kernel it is the best idea to fetch a vanilla
> kernel from kernel.org and patch it with the series by Benjamin
> Herrenschmidt (ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/benh/). And
> then just compile. You need yaboot (etc/yaboot.conf and /usr/sbin/ybin)
> too.
>
> www.ppckernel.org is a nice place too.
>
> Search the archives of debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org.. There're a lot of
> threads refering to this topic.
>
> *Kristian

According to his reply he has the two kernels, both for the mac, and the two
sets of modules.  So the thing that is wrong is trying to use LILO.  He has
Bootx which must have a way of setting up for the new kernel.  I don't
suppose there is any reason to shift over to yaboot in that case.

By the way, I note that your post came from the mailing list.  I thought I
sent mine just to the newsgroup.  It used to be that mail to the list went
to the newsgroup, but not the other way from the newsgroup to the list.  I
read at the newsgroup and if it is posted with the note at the bottom from
the email list, then I send a response there.  Otherwise I just post to the
newsgroup.  I'm just curious if the newsgroup stuff regularly comes to the
mailing list.

Anita