Re: Newbie Question

Hello

Abrasive wrote:

> Okay, after loading a new machine with Debian 3.0r1, I've found that I
> need to install a
> newer kernel.  Without the kernel, debian won't recognize my NIC or my
> display
> adapter.

It is possible to choose a newer Kernel (2.4.18-bf2.4) during installation.
However, some security problems have been found in the old package from r1
habe been found, so you should get a newer package anyway.

> So, I don't have internet access on that computer.
> I'd like to download all the necessary files to upgrade the kernel from
> 2.2.x to a 2.4.x
> kernel.  But, I don't know which files to download, and I have no idea how
> to upgrade the kernel the 'Debian Way'
> Once I have the files,(once I find out which files I'll need) I'll
> download them to this
> machine, and burn them to a CD.  Then I'll copy them to the new machine.
>>From there, I'm at aloss.  Any help that I can get would be MUCH
>>appreciated.

Go to the Debian packages website (http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/)
and find the kernel-image you want. If you want to compile additional
modules later (like the nvidia driver), you should download both the
kernel-image and the matching kernel-headers packages (from
http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/). Burn them to CD, copy them to
some directory on your Debian machine and install the kernel-image package
with "dpgk -i filename.deb". The Debian package system will automatically
reconfigure your bootloader (at least when you use lilo, don't know about
grub). From then on, you should habe to kernels installed, both the
installation kernel (shown in lilo as LinuxOLD) and the new one (shown as
Linux).

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--