Re: Newbie Question

 --- Abrasive <abrasive@houston.rr.com> escribió:
> Okay, after loading a new machine with Debian 3.0r1, I've found that I need
> to install a
> newer kernel.  Without the kernel, debian won't recognize my NIC or my
> display
> adapter.  So, I don't have internet access on that computer.
> I'd like to download all the necessary files to upgrade the kernel from 2.2.x
> to a 2.4.x
> kernel.  But, I don't know which files to download, and I have no idea how to
> upgrade
> the kernel the 'Debian Way'
> Once I have the files,(once I find out which files I'll need) I'll download
> them to this
> machine, and burn them to a CD.  Then I'll copy them to the new machine.
> >From there, I'm at aloss.  Any help that I can get would be MUCH
> appreciated.
> I'm not new to linux/unix, just new to Debian.  And I don't understand the
> package
> system very well, or doing things the Debian Way.
> Thanks.

If you still have the Woody CD around it has the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel
image on it.  Assuming you used the cdrom as a source during install,
you should be able to execute 'apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4'
and have it working right away.

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es