Re: Serial terminal program?

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 08:18:49PM -0400, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
| Is there a serial terminal program for Debian?  One that will talk out an
| RS-232 port? I couldn't seem to find one searching in dselect or
| debian.org's
| online package search.

minicom
kermit

I'm sure there are others too.

| I don't think gnome-terminal or the like can talk to a serial port.

Nope, they're X clients that act like a physical terminal (eg vt102 or
xterm)

| Telnet talks to the network.

Correct.

| I used to use tip on the old SunOS.  On Windows I use Hyperterminal.
|
| I'll need it for powerpc, but if one is available for x86 there is likely
| to be one for powerpc too.

That's one of the benefits to running debian on both machines :-).
You'll likely find the same packages on each one.

-D

--
I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.  Now a slave
has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/