Re: Dual head text console / X HOWTO sought

Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

> 1) Dual head text console. A keystroke combination switches the focus
> of the keyboard from one monitor to the other; the usual Alt-F<n> then
> switches between VTs on that monitor.
>
> 2) Dual head, text console and X. The PCI card is used for the text
> console and the AGP card for X. The usual [Ctrl-]Alt-F<n> switches
> focus between text VTs and X.

I don't believe either of these are possible.  If it was at all, it'd
be built into the kernel.

> - Framebuffer dual head HOWTOs. I'm talking about real text modes, not
>   framebuffer. One purpose of this setup is to experiment with
>   programming the AGP card in text mode, using the PCI card at 100x36
>   to provide the VTs from which to write/run the experimental code.

For a small amount of money, you can probably find either a used
computer or an actual serial terminal; this is good to log into the
machine over either the network or a serial port to do this sort of
thing.  You also may be able to convince your system to not believe
immediately in the AGP card, such that it boots using the PCI card as
its primary display, or configure X to use your keyboard and only the
PCI card.

> - Xinerama HOWTOs and other X-only dual head things. This is a lesser
>   priority.

...but very easy to set up, if you're willing to dig into the
XF86Config file.

	-- Abra Mitchell