Re: PDF viewers capable of high zoom factors

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 09:04:59PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> Are Gnome applications still supposed to do stuff like this?
>
> rei $ gpdf LJ1300.pdf
>
> (gpdf:20471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: file gdk-pixbuf-io.c: line 729
> (gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file): assertion `filename != NULL' failed
>
> (gpdf:20471): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: file gdk-pixbuf-io.c: line 729
> (gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file): assertion `filename != NULL' failed
>
> Simple little two page PDF describing a printer.
>

> I thought assertions were... bad. :)

Assertions aren't always bad, they're like any other debug message. No,
GNOME applications probably shouldn't do this, but yes, the overwhelming
majority of GNOME applications I have used over the past several years
spew garbage like this constantly while otherwise working perfectly. KDE
apps tend to go to the opposite extreme and fail without any useful
error messages, unless there's no X session or something.

--
Michael Heironimus