Problems with ncurses in X

Hi everyone,

For some time now I've been having some problems with ncurses
programs inside X. When running "make menuconfig", for example,
inside xterm or Eterm all frame lines appear as characters! Also,
some times when exiting the program the characters "1;2c" appear in
the shell. I think that these have to do with the problems I'm
having with aptitude: it always starts with the help on and I have
to click 2 or 3 times in "ok" to close that frame. Also in debconf
when it's necessary to input some text sometimes these characters
appear at the end of the default text.
These problems are driving me nuts! Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks in advance,

P.S. - I tried sending this mail with an attachment, but the mail
didn't seem to get there with it.

---
Paladin