Forcing installation over unmet dependencies

Hi,

probably another newbie question, but I couldn't find the answer in
any doc: I wanted to upgrade the Qt development kit on my system, but
on doing

        # apt-get install libqt3-dev

I get

          libqt3-dev: Depends: xlibmesa-glu-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                               libglu1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                               libglu-dev
        E: Sorry, broken packages

I don't want to install the GLU library from Mesa, as I already have
the NVidia GLU library installed ("make install"'ed, not from a .deb).

How can I force apt-get to ignore the unmet dependency, or otherwise
get the libqt3-dev package installed?

Is there a general mechanism for telling the package manipulation
system "don't bother with this package, I've already got what it
provides covered from another source"?

~# Morten