Re: make-kpkg: permission denied making modules_image

On 01 Jul 2003 09:57:19 +0200
JG <j2003gi@yahoo.es> wrote:

> Setup:
> 1.- Add yourself to the "src" group (/usr/src/ belongs to root.src)
> 2.- Check that /usr/src/modules belongs to root.src, and has the sticky
>     bit on:
>
>     $ls -lsd /usr/src/modules/
>    4 drwxrwsr-x    2 root     src          4096 Jun 26 15:34
>    /usr/src/modules//
>
>     If not, change it
>
>     $ sudo chown root.src /usr/src/modules
>     $ sudo chmod g+sw /usr/src/modules
>
> Compilation:
> 1.- uncompress modules sources as yourself (not root) in
>     /usr/src/modules/
> 2.- go to your kernel-tree and
>     $ fakeroot make-kpkg ....
>
> Hope this helps,

Yes, thank you for the more complete explanation. I should have included
that.

The sticky bit is not required for /usr/src/modules or its subdirectories.
It's not set on my system(s) and "fakeroot make-kpkg" works fine.

Kevin