Re: please help me to editi xconfig

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 03:10:07 +0200, Reza wrote:

> I have installed nvidia driver in debian woody,

You mean the binary driver from nVidia?

> but i still confused in
> editing the xconfig-4. Actually i have edit it based on the example, but
> fail, it said that server error, no screen found. Since i have backup the
> file, so i restore back again. And my problem gone, but still nvidia driver
> wont come, so anyone want to help me?
> my specification:
>
> monitor: philips res max at 1024x768 @60hz

Awful! ;-)

> ### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
> # XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
> # Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
> #
> # Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
> # (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
> #
> # If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make
> changes
> # before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
> # "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.

Did you read this?

> Section "Module"
>  Load "GLcore"
>  Load "bitmap"
>  Load "dbe"
>  Load "ddc"
>  Load "dri"
>  Load "extmod"
>  Load "freetype"
>  Load "glx"
>  Load "int10"
>  Load "record"
>  Load "speedo"
>  Load "type1"
>  Load "vbe"
> EndSection

Please read the README file for the nVidia driver. It states exactly what
modules to comment out from the above. If you used the Debian packages for
this driver, the README should be in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx*.

> Section "Device"
>  Identifier "Generic Video Card"
>  Driver  "nv"
> EndSection

Wrong driver. "nv" is the builtin XF86 driver without hardware 3D support.
Again, the README tells you the correct name.

> oh ya, i almost forget, i have already add "(==)Using config file" in the
> var/log/XFree86.0.log

Sorry? Did you edit XFree86.log? That makes no sense. This file is written
for your information, and not read by anything (besides your text
editor...)

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!