Cups changing paper settings, now unable to get A4

Hi,

I have cups on woody/sarge installed an working, except that when I
actually add a printer, there is no a4 options for the paper in the cups
menu or any of my gnome apps,

but if I remove or do not configure a printer, the A4 option is there
for my gnome apps (under the print option), as I do not use KDE I cannot
really be sure its its just gnome.

I've done some digging on google, but nothing really comes up that fits
my criteria, linuxprinting.org doesn't come up with much either.

Any help would be appresiated.

Thanks

Mark