Re: .Xclients, .xinitrc, .xsessions not read by sys what to use?

David selby <debian@pusspaws.net> writes:

> David Z Maze wrote:
>
>>Both KDM and GDM offer the concept of "sessions"; you want to make
>>sure that you're using the "Debian" session, not one that goes
>>straight into GNOME or KDE without reading other dotfiles.
>>

> When you say "Debian session" do you mean boot into a script that
> calls KDE, fluxbox etc ?

When you boot, your favorite display manager comes up.  There should
be a pull-down box somewhere for "session" (unless your favorite
display manager is xdm).  My personal experience has been that, under
gdm, if you pick the 'GNOME' session, gdm will helpfully run
gnome-session for you and otherwise ignore your dotfiles.  If you pick
the 'Debian' session, then it will run the first of $HOME/.xsession,
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager, or
/etc/alternatives/x-window-manager that it finds.

Looking harder at the kdm dotfiles, though, it looks like whatever you
pick as a session, the default setup just runs /etc/X11/Xsession,
which is what you actually wanted anyways.

	-- Abra Mitchell