Re: OT: America's Army

On June 22, 2003 10:25 am, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> writes:
> > For all you Linux gamers out there, The United States Army
> > announced Version 1.7.0 of America's Army, introducing Linux
> > support for the first time.
> >
> > You can download it here:
> > ftp://ftp.stenstad.net/mirrors/icculus.org/armyops-lnx-170.sh.bin
> > http://ftp.eongames.com/icculus.org/armyops/armyops-lnx-170.sh.bi
> > http://www.3ddownloads.com/linuxgames/americas_army/armyops-lnx-1
> >70.sh.bin
> > http://guinness.devrandom.net/~primus/armyops-lnx-170.sh.bin
> > http://treke.net/downloads/armyops-lnx-170.sh.bin
> > http://www.sh.nu/download/armyops-lnx-170.sh.bin
> >
> > Official website: http://www.americasarmy.com/
> >
> > True to the DoD's recent affinity for Linux, and having tried the
> > game already on my roommate's Windows box, I can safely say the
> > Linux version is *much* more stable and less choppy running than
> > the Windows version.  Truely a win from an unexpected source for
> > the Linux gamer.
>
> Is this Free Software? It doesn't seem to be. It's nice that the US
> army is willing to release violent propaganda for "Linux" systems,
> but if it's not Free Software then I don't see how this is any
> better than running quake3 or unreal tournament.

Oh for christs sake, come down from your ivory tower already.
Its better than running quake3 or UT because unless you're stealing
those games, you have to pay for them.
Is that not enough for you?  Stop your bitching and complaining and
appreciate this for what it is, a free, high quality game with good
linux support.  I think its amazing that this even got done.

Damn these free software holier than thou zealots really drive me
through the roof.  Sorry to everyone else for the rant.

~leo