Re: debian

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 02:24, cr wrote:
> On Saturday 21 June 2003 10:52, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > >
> > > If a user can't install then there's no point reviewing the rest of the
> > > system.
> >
> > So, review the install.  However, to stop there is silly.  User's don't
> > normally install a system and then fdisk it only to start over.  There
> > is more to an OS than it's installation.
>
> Well, popular reviews are usually aimed at 'new users', or intelligent
> amateurs, and from their point of view the install is a major consideration.
> (Professionals probably won't be reading that sort of reviews and the
> 'just-buying-it-to-play-games-on' crowd won't be reading any reviews anyway).
> I honestly wouldn't recommend Deb to a new-to-Linux user.   Knoppix maybe
> (not that I've used it), or Red Hat, and maybe graduate to Deb when they have
> a handle on what Linux is like.
>
> If I didn't have the familiarity with what was going on, gained from maybe
> half-a-dozen Red Hat installs / setup sessions, I think Woody's installer
> would have baffled me.   Knowing roughly what to expect is 99% of the battle.
> As it was it took three install attempts before I got one (with X and PPP
> working) that was good enough to switch to.

My first ever Linux install was done with Potato a year and a half ago.
The only experience I had had with anything remotely linux related
before then was using cygwin for a few months. So essentially I knew a
few basic bash commands. I knew nothing about the kernel, the
filesystem, or anything. I had no real idea what modules were, and the
whole "sources" thing baffled me. And, worst of all, I didn't find out
about this list until AFTER I had a working install. :)

But I pulled out an old Pentium 133 I had lying around, and started
trying to install Debian on it. After my 2nd try, I had a working
installation. One more wipe and reinstall and I had the basic hang of
the installer. Then it was time to repartition the disk on my actual
desktop machine and get to work. 3 months later, every last semblance of
Windows and proprietary software had been wiped from my hard drive.
(I've since had to install a few closed-source Linux programs/drivers,
but I'm maintaining a relatively free system. I never thought twice
about "stealing" software through the use of cracks while I was using
Windows, but now the very thought of it makes me feel dirty. Both the
stealing aspect and the fact that I had a REASON to do it. Free software
literally lets me sleep better at night. :)

And, just so I can join in the foray of the auto-detect flame-fest here,
if a user doesn't know his hardware well enough to be able to pick it
from a list he shouldn't be installing an OS in the first place.
Besides, if a user is converting from Windows, just how much trouble is
it to grab a pen and paper and go into Device Manager? (Took me about 10
minutes a year and a half ago. Barring some odd time-distorting anomaly,
it should still take roughly that long for John Q. Public to do so.)
Auto-detection would be nice, but if I have to choose between manually
selecting hardware or having an installer hard-lock my computer like the
Mandrake installer did a few months ago, I'll go the manual selection
route anyday. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837