Re: exim-tls just says "no, stupid!"

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:42:34AM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 01:17:38AM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
> | (certificate and public key seem okay; i'm even able to grok the
> | syntax to have an authenticator pull password fields out of a
> | "htpasswd"-created file...)
>
> That sounds good.
>
> May I suggest using exim or some other Debian tool to verify that exim
> itself is working with TLS (and/or AUTH)?
>
> (the AUTH PLAIN part is easy, using telnet)

i can probably find the exim testing options (didn't think to
look, of course -- thanks!) but "other debian tool" is a bit
vague. what would i apt-cache search for?

> BTW, I *think* I have exim working with TLS, but
>     1)  I am using exim 4, not 3.x

i'm using woody/stable:
	$ exim -bV
	Exim version 3.35 #1 built 04-Mar-2002 23:05:40
	Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2001

>     2)  I don't actually use it apart from testing way back when I
>             configured it, so I don't remember if it is actually there
>             or not.  If you want to experiment with it, you're welcome
>             to.  Just let me know before hand because, IIRC, I have
>             STARTTLS only advertised to certain clients.

"want to experiment with it" means... what? :)

> Q: What is the difference betwee open-source and commercial software?
s/wee/ween/
> A: If you have a problem with commercial software you can call a phone
>    number and they will tell you it might be solved in a future version.
>    For open-source sofware there isn't a phone number to call, but you
>    get the solution within a day.

well put!

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0-bunk-1;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #79 from Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx>
:
When using a display manager (xdm, kdm, gdm) are your SHELL
DEFAULTS IGNORED IN X?  Put
	. ~/.bashrc
into your ~/.bash_profile so that new logins get not only the
login environment but also the shell environment; and add
	. ~/.bash_profile
into your ~/.xsession, which makes sure that the X session gets
a login environment.