Re: sound: loading of sound driver fails after reboot from Windows

On 11 Jun 2003 "Brian P.D. Smyth" <bpdsmyth@brick.net> wrote:

>> Thanks, you were the only one who had something useful to say on this. As
>> no further reactions are forthcoming I consider this little thread closed
>> with the following conclusions:
>> - Windows (Windows 2000 at least, that's the variant on my laptop)
>>   somehow keeps a grip on the sound card even after it has been stopped,
>>   possibly by "not releasing the IRQ";
>> - switching to grub as boot manager may solve the problem;
>> - otherwise there is nothing but a hard reboot if yow want sound in
>>   Linux.

> It has been a number of years since I had Windows and Linux running
> together but I do recall that I had to disable a bios setting that
> allowed the OS (Windows) to control IRQs (disable Plug & Play OS).  If
> you hard set the IRQs in the bios both Windows and Linux should use the
> same ones.

Plug & Play OS *is* disabled in the BIOS. The BIOS allows me to "hard set
IRQs" and IO ports for only a few devices, the serial and parallel ports as
far as I remember, not for the sound card anyway. But, hard set or not, the
IRQ and other hardware settings for the sound card drivers *are* the same in
Windows and Linux. I carefully checked that, and reported the values in my