Re: sound: loading of sound driver fails after reboot from Windows

--- Ben Kal <benkal@euronet.nl> wrote:
> On 2 Jun 2003 "Gary L. Dolan" <fred1@inebraska.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:28:45AM +0100, Ben Kal
> wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> Do some of you know more about the following
> inconvenience I have
> >> with sound on my Linux machine:
> >>   sound works fine if I boot directly into Linux
> after power-on,
> >>                and if I reboot from Linux back
> into Linux;
> >>   sound does not work at all after rebooting into
> Linux from Windows.
> >> In Windows sound works under all circumstances.
>
> > I remember having this problem, unfortunately I
> cannot remember how I
> > corrected it. I used to boot linux with Loadlin.
> When I got this box
> > (which is now a number of years old), this same
> problem began. It appeared
> > that Windows had a problem releasing the IRQ, so
> the only solution was a
> > hard reboot. I <think> the problem was cleared up
> when I switched to grub
> > as a boot manager.
>
> Thanks, you were the only one who had something
> useful to say on this.
> As no further reactions are forthcoming I consider
> this little thread closed
> with the following conclusions:
> - Windows (Windows 2000 at least, that's the variant
> on my laptop) somehow
>   keeps a grip on the sound card even after it has
> been stopped, possibly by
>   "not releasing the IRQ";
> - switching to grub as boot manager may solve the
> problem;
> - otherwise there is nothing but a hard reboot if
> yow want sound in Linux.
>
> Thanks again,
> Ben
Since this is the first that I saw this, have you
tried to add your sound driver to /etc/modules . In my
/etc/modules I have ac97_codec, soundcore, pci-scan,
tulip all on their own line. That causes those modules
to load at boot up.
HTH
Don