Re: Balky Netgear FA311 ethernet card (SOLVED)

Brian, I appreciate your response. I was wondering about the ominous silence. After completely failing every attempt to get the card to work with the natsemi module, I recompiled the kernel to include natsemi, and the FA311 was successfully activated during start-up. I don't know what the problem was with the modules, but strongly suspect it was a PCI bus initialization issue. For anyone else who may have trouble, I also note that while my recent FA311 used the National Semiconductor 83815 supported by natsemi, older versions of the FA311 used other chips, including the RTL8139, for which a number of drivers are apparently available.

Thanks again, Brian,

Rick

Brian P. Flaherty wrote:

Sorry, I was out of town last week.  Responses below.