Recent upgrade of unstable - xserver problems

Hi,

Earlier today I upgraded debian unstable on 2 machines (a desktop and laptop).  In both cases, after rebooting, the x login screen changed in appearance (to maybe xdm, rather than kdm/gdm?), and I am not able to login from the normal login.  In order to login, I need to open a virtual console and login from there.  From there, however, if I try to 'startx' (after killing the xserver), the x server appears to start, but no window manager starts.

After upgrading, (but before rebooting), I had kde running, but some applications would refuse to run, with an error dialog stating that 'connection to "0:0" refused by server'. , and someting about 'invalid xdm authorization'.

If you have any ideas about what went wrong and how to correct it, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jerry Bash