Re: ergonomic laptop keyboard?

on Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:32:56PM -0500, Kent West insinuated:
> Kevin Mark wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 13:08, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> >

> >><snip>
> >>I would love to see a normal laptop,
> >>

> >never in a million years. its form factor doesnt allow it.
> >

> >> but with a keyboard
> >>whose two halves could pop up in the middle, and then rotate inwards
> >>to whatever degree the user wanted, kind of like [1], except built
> >>into a laptop, and without the numerical keypad, obviously.
> >>

> >>does such a thing exist?
> >>
> I believe it was one of the IBM Thinkpads that had a "butterfly"
> keyboard. It expanded when you opened the laptop, but it didn't
> rotate inwards, and looked nothing like [1]. It was just a normal
> keyboard, with bigger keys and spacing like a desktop keyboard, that
> was cut in half and folded into a tighter space when the lid was
> closed. Can't say I was terribly impressed with it; I guess the
> market wasn't either, or you'd still see the design.

yeah, i've seen this -- what i'm looking for is this + rotation.
guess it just isn't out there yet ...

> It probably won't be of any use to you, but the roll-up keyboard
> might be a consideration; it's basically the innards of a keyboard,
> wrapped in rubber, so that you can roll it up to store/carry and
> unroll it to use.  It's not particularly usable in my estimation,
> but some folks like it.  TigerDirect.com has it for $20 or so.

right, but it's a straight keyboard ... exactly the thing that was
causing me wrist pain itn the first place.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/