Re: Small mail server

Vittorio [debian-user] <03/06/03 12:05 +0000>:
> At home where I have a dsl internet connection I set up a small debian
> 3.0 server to work - above all - as a gateway & firewall
> (masqueranding the 2 windows 2000 PCs which are connected to it) and
> connecting to the net via a "ppp on demand".
>
> Recently I have installed the uw-imapd & fetchmail debs to make M$
> outlook express in the win2k box read mail from the imap server (the
> small debian 3 box again!). To test the installation I have been
> issuing the "fetchmail" command from the server manually to get the
> post from my pop3 external ISP, putting it in a folder and then
> checking from outlook express if it is able to read that folder via
> imap. It is!
>
> Now, I'd like to automate the procedure because I want to read my mail
> from my ISP through fetchmail & spamassassin, put my cleaned mail in a
> folder of the server to be read via imap by outlook express on a the
> win2k boxes.
>
> I know that IN THE CASE OF A PERMANENT INTERNET CONNECTION I can set
> fetchmail to read email systematically from an external pop3 ISP at
> fixed time intervals.
>
> But, I have a PPP ON DEMAND CONNECTION (for security reasons I'd loke
> to stick to this solution) therefore I wonder if it possible to
> configure the debian server to start the connection and run fetchmail
> as soon as M$ outlook express is opened and is looking for new mail.
>
> How can I do it?
>
> Ciao
> Vittorio

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Well, in the end - thanks to some confidential answer I got - I've
found a solution!

In /etc/ppp there's a script ip-up which executes all the scripts
under the directory /etc/ppp/ip-up.d when ppp is triggered.  One of
these scripts is fetchmail. The trick is to copy your
$HOME/.fetchmailrc under to /etc/fetchmailrc (without the initial dot).

Now, every time an application like mozilla, ping or outlook express
(in the win2k box) itself starts my ppp on demand on the small server,
fetchmail immediatedly gets the mail from my external ISP and put it
in the /var/mail/USER dir which I can access from outlook express.

Besides this gives me the chance to download my mail directly from
outlook express by clicking on "send/receive".

Ciao

Vittorio