Re: apt-get can't find nvidia contributed driver package

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

I think you are right, I don't have the "contrib" section.

After posting my original message, I discovered the earlier exchange
titled "nvidia video cards", including an opinion that the nvidia
package works only if recompiled, so getting nvidia may not solve my
problem.

But if I could use a more up to date version of nv, that would be good
too.  Can I update nv alone, or do I have to update all of XFree86?  If
I update XFree86, will that result in even more related packages being
updated? Is the procedure straightforward? I'm totally new to Linux, and
I really don't need to try to learn on "testing", or on a system that
has a bunch of possible version incompatibilities.

Thanks again for helping me out on this.

Jack Dodds