Re: Compiling 2.4.18-BF from apt-get source

* Jesse Meyer (meyer@btinet.net) [030602 22:27]:
> Well, the problem is, I need the pcmcia_cs.o module for my laptop
> NIC.  The only package that includes that is the
> pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-bf2.4 package, which, as its name implies,
> requires the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.
>
> Unfortunately, the bf2.4 kernel, being an installation kernel, is
> pretty bloated.  So I want to recompile and reinstall the package
> 2.4.18-bf2.4, instead of recompiling both 2.4.18-bf2.4 and all
> the modules for cs-modules.
>
> Am I nuts for doing this?

Yes ;-)

If your purpose is to end up with a "non-bloated" kernel, you should
just download a kernel-source package (i.e. kernel-source-2.4.20 or
kernel-source-2.4.18, if you want to stick to stable) and build your
own.

Trying to save the work of recompiling the modules and instead
recompiling the kernel is a little silly, IMO.  You'd be better off
downloading a non-bf kernel (i.e. kernel-image-2.4.18-<arch>, again
sticking to stable) and the corresponding kernel-headers package and
pcmcia-source and building your own pcmcia-modules package.  That's just
the way I'd do it, anyway (if I wanted to avoid compiling a custom
kernel, that is).

good times,
Vineet
--