Re: Problem: want x-window-system without xdm

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:21:44AM -0500, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> I have installed x-window-system in order to use gnopernicus for gnome
> accessibility. But I do not want X to start at boot. I was advised to
> change my runlevel from 2 to 3 in my /etc/inittab but that did not
> solve my problem.

That was wrong advice from somebody used to Red Hat or similar. You can
do something like 'mv /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm /etc/rc2.d/s99xdm' on Debian.

> finally I removed xdm using --ignore-dpendency=x-window-system. My
> installation works fine, including gnopernicus/gnome. However, now
> apt-get won't let me upgrade or add packages; it just keeps
> complaining about how i should run 'apt-get -f install" because of the
> unmet dependencies. I am using debian unstable; in earlier
> distributions you could install x-window-system without xdm; I'm not
> sure when or why that changed. Is there anything I can do about this?

Yes, remove x-window-system. It's only a metapackage for convenience, to
install a more or less complete X Window System; if it's not convenient,
remove it.

Cheers,