Re: Q: Pointers to configure SMTP AUTH

* Viktor Rosenfeld <viktor@mbi-berlin.de> [030603 03:00]:

> I want to use SMTP AUTH with my ISP.  He offers PLAIN, CRAM-MD5, and
> DIGEST-MD5 authentication on his mail servers.  I'd like to use either
> CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5.  I'd also like to use SMTP over SSL so the
> entire session is encrypted.

SMTP AUTH is quite easy. Edit /etc/exim/exim.conf and scroll down to
the bottom of this file.

There are examples for diffrent authentications Methods, I use for
cram-md5 the following:

====
cram_md5:
  driver = cram_md5
  public_name = CRAM-MD5
  client_name = <myusername>
  client_secret = <mypassword>
====

Works fine here.

IIRC this configuration files comes world readable, so you might want
to change this.

> I use exim so far on my machine and I noticed that there's an exim-tls
> package in unstable.
That would interesst me too.

Sincerely
  Alexander