Re: apt-get Newbie

http://mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody/
> gnome2.2/
> ---
>
> I did this trustingly as I don't understand the
> concept
> of 'backporting'...
>
> I would now like to follow just the 'stable' updates
> and
> let my non-stable stuff stay as it is until it
> enters the
> stable 'stream'.
>
> I would like to get all stable, US and non-US, main
> and
> contrib.
>
> Is it just a case of doing a regular:
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get upgrade
>
> with all 'stable' lines in sources.list,
> or will the 'backports' be damaged (or never
> upgraded)?
>
> What should I put in sources.list ?
>
> I've tried putting every possible option in to
> sources.list according to the DEB URI DISTRIBUTION
> [COMPONENT1] [COMPONENENT2] [...] rule, but I get
> lots of
> file-not-found errors.
>
> Has anyone compiled a definitive list of all
> possible
> combinations allowed in sources.list ?
>
> Should I leave the backport lines in sources.list
> or remove them?
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Alan

Alan,
  I assume that you placed those gnome2.2 lines in
your sources.list.  If you want to keep the gnome2.2
updating to the current release then leave the sources
list the way it is.  If you just want to stay with
stable then all you need to do is add a # as the first
charcter in your gnome2.2 lines in your sources.list
and then all you need to do is apt-get update &&
apt-get -u upgrade.  The reason that I use th e-u
option is that I have to agree with what is going to
be upgraded, i.e. its not a automatic upgrade.
HTH's
Don