Re: Constant sync between two nodes?

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 02:45, Alex Polite wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:19:57AM +0200, Mailinglists at Soderlund.Org wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > setting up another machine as a backup to my private mailserver. I would
> > like to have a constant sync (preferably increments) of directories and
> > files that I choose between the two, using the LAN between them.
> >
> > They are both on a private NAT:ed DMZ so there are no worries for r-daemons
> > and alike.
> >
> > Anyone done this? What software/solution are to recommend?
> >
> > Regards and TIA,
> >
> > Niclas
>
> Readup on rsync + ssh. Then there is rdiff-backup built on top of
> rsync. It offers some more functionality but I myself had a nasty
> experience with it trying to recreate an incremental backup. Now I
> just run plain rsync.

They won't be "continuous", though.  You could make them sync
hourly, though.

The only way to have continuous mirroring is with expensive fiber
controllers mirroring to disparate (up to 10KM apart) drive packs.
*WAY* expensive, though.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a  |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it."                 |
|     Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)          |