Re: Compiling 2.4.18-BF from apt-get source

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:57:01 -0500
Jesse Meyer <meyer@btinet.net> wrote:

> That being said, then how do you then remake the kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
> package?  I could just replace the kernel image without telling dpkg, but
> that doesn't seem to be a good idea.  Life's easier when I don't > go
> behind the package manager's back.

This is a special (and strange) case. You don't have a
kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 package installed even though you have all the
files; they are part of basic installation.

To remake the kernel image, just do it (using make-kpkg and the bf2.4 config
and specifying --append-to-version=-bf2.4), but you don't really want to do
that, do you?

If you want to use *most* of the same config but change a few items
yourself, when you make-kpkg use another --append-to-version value. This is
explained in the newbiedoc. The kernel-image will have its own name, none of
the files will conflict, and the package manager will know all about it.

Kevin