Where is $MAIL set? (login process)

On my laptop I removed the xdm init.d links instead of the xdm package
so when I update I get xdm back.  This time I decided to start using xdm
to manage logins.

This caused icewm to no longer display the little mailbox icon, so it
turned out that the problem was that MAIL was not being set when logging
in with xdm.

>From what I gather, login(1) sets MAIL, but xdm bypasses login.

So, I'm wondering why MAIL is not being set with xdm (seem like it
should) and I'd also like to understand how it gets set normally when
using login -- e.g. is it read set in a startup script?  I assume
there's a setting to say mail is in /var/mail/$USER.

Secondly, is there a simple explanation of the boot and login process
for Debian?  Something that explains the order of programs and scripts
run.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley