Lost user access to dos partition

The following used to work before changing to testing:
[as user]

cd /dosd

In which /dosd is an ms-dos partition (containing my mp3's).
/etc/fstab says:

/dev/hda5  /dosd   vfat defaults,user,rw        0      1

But after the upgrade I get

jws@spica:~$ cd /dosd
-bash: cd: /dosd: Permission denied

I seem to lack execute permission on the directory.

/dosd is a mount point; when the device /dev/hda5 is *not* mounted
on it, ls -al shows

drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 May 28 21:35 dosd

However when it *is* mounted I get

drwxr--r--   13 root     root         4096 Jan  1  1970 dosd

A very ancient date. Strange. And the permissions have changed, as
a result, apparently, of mounting the device onto this mount
point. Anyway, now I can run xmms only when I am root. It used to
work fine before the upgrade. Anyone knows what is the matter here?

Regards, Jan