Compiler choice for OSS (WAS: Re: Trouble with Mozilla Java plugin)

 --- Aryan Ameri <a.ameri@linuxiran.org> escribió:
> The compiler version is always important (due to the nature of C).
> For example Mozilla 1.4 can be compiled with gcc on windows, but no
> plugin would then work with it, because all the plugins have been
> compiled with the Microsoft compiler.

This is something I have always wondered about.  Why do OSS projects use gcc
for every platform except Windows?  I thought one of the great advantages of
gcc was that is was ported to pretty much every operating system.  Why not just
always use gcc?  Then there would be no need to maintain separate makefiles for
different compilers.

Just my $0.02

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS