Re: tuxracer: extension "GLX" missing (was: nvidia video cards)

On Sat, 31 May 2003 21:23:19 -0600
bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) wrote:

>From the utah-glx FAQ:

"GLX is basically the glue that ties OpenGL and X together. Most of the code
in Utah-GLX is actually dealing with graphics chipset specific drivers code.
Most of the OpenGL support is provided by Mesa (which has
hardware-acceleration hooks that we update)."

"The GLX protocol is a way to send 3D graphics commands over an X
client-server connection. It was created by Silicon Graphics and recently
released as open source. In order to distinguish this package from SGI's GLX
module we opted to refer to this project as Utah GLX."

I believe you're confusing GLX and framebuffer.

Tuxracer requires GLX, which is provided for GeForce? by NVIDIA.

Framebuffer is a completely different animal, though since X is hardly my
strong suite I won't say any more (except to note that I use the proprietary
NVIDIA drivers for X and VESA framebuffer for the console, so I know they
don't conflict).

Kevin