unsubscribe

-----Original Message-----
From: debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
To: debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
Sent: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:10:54 -0600 (CST)
Subject: debian-user-digest Digest V2003 #1041

debian-user-digest Digest				Volume 2003 : Issue 1041

Today's Topics:
  Difference between "woody" and "stab  [ Uwe Storbeck <uwe@ibr.ch> ]
  creating boot cds                     [ adit y <adity24@yahoo.com> ]
  Re: Official Exim 4 package           [ Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> ]
  Re: Official Exim 4 package           [ Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> ]
  apt-get dist-upgrade bails            [ Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@mindsprin ]
  apt-get dist-upgrade bails            [ Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@mindsprin ]
  Re: Problems with horde/imp           [ UnKnown <rak@burst.fcien.edu.uy> ]
  Re: sylpheed-doc package broken?      [ ronin2@bellatlantic.net ]
  Re: name conflict: ud / ud-ldap       [ Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> ]
  Re: Newbee-ish X and root question    [ Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.d ]
  Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks           [ Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.c ]
  Re: apt-get dist-upgrade bails        [ Jonathan Matthews <jaycee.removeifn ]
  Re: apt-get dist-upgrade bails        [ Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> ]
  Re: sylpheed-doc package broken?      [ Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> ]
  Re: "Your Sexual Partner Will Not Kn  [ "linux stuff" <linuxstuff@thebytebu ]
  Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks           [ Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> ]
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:03:39 +0100
From: Uwe Storbeck <uwe@ibr.ch>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Difference between "woody" and "stable" in apt Default-Release?

Hi,

I've just seen a somewhat irritating behaviour of apt-get
update/upgrade. Formerly I thought "woody" and "stable" are synonyms
for now because Woody is the current stable distribution.

I've set Default-Release to "stable" in apt.conf:

APT {
  Get {
    Fix-Broken "true";
    Show-Upgraded "true";
    Purge "true";
  };
  Default-Release "stable";
};

If I add woody-proposed-updates to my sources.list and do an upgrade
with apt-get update/upgrade the packages from proposed-updates won't
get installed:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody-proposed-updates main contrib non-free

# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.

# apt-show-versions -a -p logcheck
logcheck        1.1.1-13.1      install ok installed
logcheck        1.1.1-13.1      stable
logcheck        1.1.1-13.5.woody.0      proposed-updates
logcheck/stable uptodate 1.1.1-13.1

If I change Default-Release to "woody" proposed-updates get installed
as expected.

So if I want proposed-updates I have to set Default-Release to "woody"
instead of "stable". Not just understandable, but as far as good.

If I additionally want to mix stable and testing releases and use apt
pinning things will be somewhat more complicated and don't work as
expected anymore.

My preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=woody-proposed-updates,o=Debian,l=Debian
Pin-Priority: 999
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable,o=Debian,l=Debian
Pin-Priority: 900
Package: *
Pin: release a=sarge-proposed-updates,o=Debian,l=Debian
Pin-Priority: 777
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing,o=Debian,l=Debian
Pin-Priority: 700

If I set Default-Release to "stable" pinning works as expected, packages
will be installed from Woody by default. But as already written packages
from proposed-updates will not be installed on upgrades.
If I change Default-Release to "woody" to get the proposed-updates apt
tries to upgrade all my packages to testing on an apt-get upgrade run.
I've tried some variations in the preferences file with "woody" and
"sarge" instead of "stable" and "testing" but nothing works.

What am I doing wrong?

I want my system mostly be pinned to stable with proposed-updates
installed. Additionally I want to use a few packages from testing.

Regards

Uwe