Re: Reading the mutt manual.txt.gz without the escapes...

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 08:43:59PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > I think mutt justs uses iso8859 charset and you are not using it.
> > > Therefore there is a character set mismatch.  It is really hard to
> > > call it a bug to use an iso8859 character set.
> >
> > No, this is not a character set issue, it's the fact that the mutt
> > manual includes SGR (ANSI) escapes. See my message of a couple of
> > minutes ago for more details.
>
> Hmm...  I don't see any escapes in the manual.
>
>   dpkg -S /usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt.gz
>   mutt: /usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt.gz
>   dpkg -l mutt
>   ii  mutt           1.3.28-2     Text-based mailreader supporting MIME, GPG,

Indeed, groff 1.18 with the SGR escaping stuff didn't arrive until after
woody, and it's groff >= 1.18 that's responsible for the formatting of
the manual in current versions of mutt. manual.txt is built from
manual.sgml during the package's build process, and sgml2txt calls
groff.

By the way:

mutt (1.5.3-2) unstable; urgency=medium

  [...]
  * Stop generating escape codes in the manual. (Closes: #167006)
  [...]

 -- Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>  Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:13:15 +0100

> But I *do* see reverse video highlighting of the bullet characters.
> The first I see are at section "1.2.  Mailing Lists" where character
> 183 decimal is being used as a list bullet.  Those show up as a
> reverse video '<B7>' (hex value) unless I use an iso8859 charset, in
> which case they show up as a dot.

You're right that manual.txt is encoded in ISO-8859-1. This seems to be
a deliberate choice by whoever maintains that part of mutt, but I don't
know why.

Cheers,