Re: using diff command

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 02:55:26PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> I must be really stupid, so forgive me, but I can't figure out for the
> life of me how to use the diff command. I've read the man pages and
> looked at some stuff on the internet, but I can't get it to do what I
> want it to do.  But then maybe it doesn't do what I want it to do.

Other people have dealt with the fact that diff probably thinks the
files are binary, but in addition I'd recommend using the -u flag, or at
the very least -c. The original diff format is very hard to read and by
default includes no context; "unified" (-u) diffs are much more legible.
Most developers seem to prefer them for patches, too.

Cheers,