Re: How do I get the install disks to recognize my network?

John Fisher wrote:
> Even with 2.4, I get the same failures, despite that it seems from all I
> read that eepro100 should work.

I think everyone said it was "likely" to work.  But without seeing
the /proc/pci output it is hard to say.

> cat /proc/pci says (I hope this is the right part)
>
> Bus 1, device 8, function 5:
> Ethernet controller: PCI device 8086:1039 (Intel Corp.) (rev 129) IRQ 11.
> Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56.
> Non-Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff8ff000 [0xff8fffff].
> I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc3f].

Here is what it would say if it were a typical Ethernet Pro 100.

  Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 12).
        IRQ 21.
        Master Capable.  Latency=66.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56.
        Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4a00000 [0xf4a00fff].
        I/O at 0x3000 [0x303f].
        Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4a20000 [0xf4a3ffff].

Since your output string is different, it might take a different
driver.  Frequently manufacturers will change their revision code and
the driver may not have kept up.  You might try a recent driver from
here:

  http://www.scyld.com/

But you would have to build it into your kernel, which is painful
during an install.

As an alternative thought, can you disable the onboard networking,
borrow a pci network card, use the pci card for the installation, then
get your onboard networking working?  I would recommend either the
Dlink DFE-530TX+ or the Linksys Etherfast cards.  They are <$20 and
definitely have good linux drivers available.  The Dlink is built into
the bf24 kernel but is the '8139too' driver, the Linksys uses the
'tulip' driver.

Going the PCI card route to install definitely sounds like less
trouble.

Bob