Problems with Gnome2

Hi,

I finally have gotten a clean install of gnome2 for my unstable dist laptop, and I'm having some strange problems with gnome2 and was wondering if anyone else is having them

1.  I have a 1.7 Ghz p4m laptop with 512megs mem.  However, gnome feels extreamly sluggish.  An example of this would be working in one terminal for an extended period of time and then try to highlight the 5 desktop icons.  It will take a noticable amount of time for the icons to be highlighted, and there will be no "shadow" box appearing showing that area of the desktop I'm trying to highlight.  However, if I immediatly try to do the same thing, it appears to work fine and the performance is much better.  I am noticing this in several places doing different things.

2.  When I try to launch gnome stuff from the menu or from a launcher icon and there is the afore mentioned sluggishness, it causes xmms to pause for a brief period of time.

I have had top running during the problems, but there is never a load on my machine.  I am hoping that these are problems with gnome or the packaging that will be fixed and not a "standard feature".  It seems that gnome should just fly on a machine like mine since I have both the memory and the horsepower.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris