Re: HELP

Ricardo said:
> hi.
> i'm having a problem with my asus dvd-rom under debian 3.0(woody). i was
> installing a few things from the 1st cdrom(after the basic
> installation of the system). when i finnished installing, i reboot the
> system but i could no longer access the dvd-rom drive. every time i try
> it reports this message: /dev/cdrom is not a block device
>
> what can i do to resolve this problem?

if you have a cdrom and a dvd-rom /dev/cdrom probably points to
your cdrom.

if your DVD and CDROMs are both IDE I'd do:

dmesg |  grep ^hd

and see which devices are which ..then mount them directly, or
make another link..e.g. if cdrom is /dev/hdc:

cd /dev ; rm cdrom ; ln -s hdc cdrom

and if dvdrom is hdd:

cd /dev ; ln -s hdd dvdrom

then mount the dvd using /dev/dvdrom ..