Re: Patched sendmail? testing?

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 03:11, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 08:20:16PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 06:47:33PM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > > * Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) [030304 18:30]:

> > > In the MS Windows world, it is.
> >
> > Irrelevant.  The discussion up to this point had little to nothing to do
> > with MS Windows.  It was a complaint about the lack of security support
> > in testing, and an argument for the "proven stability" of testing was
> > the uptime of a system.  Then a conclusion was drawn from this uptime
> > that the release was "stable" and therefore in dire need of support from
> > the security team.  I'm simply pointing out that uptime is a by product
> > of stability, but not necessarily a valid (or even useful) indicator of
> > it presence.
>
> Especially since uptime is 99% kernel; the rest of the distribution
> doesn't matter unless you *really* screw it up. We could release any old
> pile of rubbish if this was the only criterion.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

A point not raised in this thread is that this lack of an update to
Testing at this point between releases is primarily the effect of the
lack of packages being able to move from Unstable due to dependency
problems - normally the differences between the two would be
sufficiently nominal that those running testing that were sufficiently
concerned could pull the package from Unstable with at worst only a
couple of dependencies. This presently is more akin to the latter part
of an extended freeze, although even there, security patches would be
entered into Testing as necessary.

All that said, this software is offered for use under NO warranty of its
performance, completeness or security, under any release or pool - only
the endeavour that the security problems in the stable pool will be
addressed where solutions can be applied, as discovered and addressed. I
accept that for the huge price I pay to license all of this software for
my use (nada) and do what I can in terms of communications with the BTS
to help in the massaging involved in polishing and completing software
for the next release. A reasonable trade-off thus far.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org